24 July 2007

What's this Norway race about?

Today I arrived in Oslo, Norway to begin my five weeks in Europe. But I feel kind of like I've been traveling for five weeks already. After a week on the East Coast I've gotten quite a few questions about the Norseman triathlon I am doing on August 4th. So what's up with this race?
It's an iron-distance triathlon, but this is far more adventure than race. First a boat takes all participants 2.4 miles into a fjord. Everyone jumps off and swims back to the small town of Eidfjord to complete the first segment (equivalent to about 180 pool lengths). Then onto the bike for 112 miles through the mountains of rural Norway. There is no official support so I need a crew to hand me food and water. Max from Swarm!/Team Bonobo is coming out as is Aidan, Morgan's close friend from England who was not able to continue on the PCT due to an injury. Chris Kostman also hooked us up with his cousin, who lives near Hammer, Norway. Amazingly she is coming out and helping as well. After the bike, the marathon run begins. The first 15 or so miles are mostly flat, but the last ten miles take you up Gaustatoppen to a peak nearly 6,000 feet high. More info on the course here. My crew must accompany me for the last leg to the top and I have to wear a pack with warm clothes, cell phone, emergency bag, etc. Amazing. I hope to finish in 15 hours.

I read this on the plane ride here: 'If you are assured completion then the challenge is too easy.' Maybe that sums up my interest in a race like this. It is also a damn good reason to come to Norway (or to travel in general). I am convinced that (almost) anyone could complete this sort of race, if they were set on doing it. I've merely put myself in a position where I have to prove that to myself. The anticipation alone is worth the entry fee. Can't wait to get out there. Hope to update frequently and maybe even post pictures.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Damn, that sounds like fun!

Unknown said...

XTREME, dude!

Unknown said...

Way impressive man. To complete any Ironman is pretty amazing, but this sounds sick! Great Luck!