24 February 2008

for serious

Today the Iditarod Trail Invitational started in Knik Lake, Alaska. I'm not sure what to say about this race. The first thing that comes to mind is that no matter what you can think of doing, there is something longer, harder or colder (or hotter). It's very humbling and important for keeping ego in check while expanding the realm of possibilities. Reading about this race got me to reading about the legendary John Stamstad. This article,That Which Does Not Kill Me Makes Me Stranger, is especially enlightening. Five hours on a trainer staring at a blank wall? Most people can't run a 5k without head phones. Amazing. To think of all the small things I spend time complaining or worrying about...

2 comments:

Chris Mayhew said...

Great article, thanks! I spent several years living down the river from him so he's kind of a local hero for me. Plus, I met him. He scared the crap out of me, kinda like Manson if he jogged.

Jen said...

wow. That was a seriously motivating article. I feel like such a ridiculous wuss now.