06 May 2008

project

What am I up to on the day-to-day? I am never really sure myself. I need to make some motivational and organizational charts for my desk to keep all this in line. Here I am laying it out for the first time outside of my head.

Work- I have two part-time jobs, one doing nutrition education through a grant that originates with the Food Stamp program and one teaching two college courses. I have about 100 students, which significantly increases my workload. I'm just about full-time. Classes end the end of May.

Bikes- I am working with Alex Thompson on what is tentatively named the 5% project. It's going to be a mass public education campaign that is not as specific as the Ride to the Ride stuff (which I am slowly distributing when I go on road rides). The Bike Writers Collective is going to help with this project and I am honored to work with them.

Swarm!- With the help of Chris we got the stickers to the printer, hope to see them this week.

Vegetarian- I work with the Vegetarian Nutrition Dietary Practice Group in a number of ways including as a student member coordinator and a co-coordinator for California. Am also heading up a media group to work with the ADA's Spokespeople who unfortunately have continually given poor information regarding vegetarianism in mainstream articles. I just got back from our Spring meeting in Utah, so the work pile for them is pretty large.

Vegetarian Bikes- I am starting to help Organic Athlete with some more vegan diet plan stuff for some projects they have coming up this summer. Am slacking here so have recruited someone to help out.

Being smarter- On paper I am a graduate student in an MA Anthropology program. My current course is a directive study in Nutritional Anthropology. It is very difficult to do school work when you are not actually attending school.

Living- Our house is coming along quicker now that Morgan moved in. He's on Team No Job, but thinks getting up at 630am and working on the house is some how not work. My new project is clearing the gigantic backyard. Will try to post photos soon. Some friends saw our house for the first time the other day and had two amazing quotes: 'This isn't LA, it's Mississippi' and 'The world without us. That's what your backyard looks like. How everything would look without humans.'

Being a Sporto- I'm still trying to keep this training schedule. But I like to skip both runs each week. Not good, considering I have a half-iron race in a week and a half. I am down to 187 pounds though!

In between all this I try to cook most of my meals, be social with people I don't live with, call my friends in other cities, read books, etc, etc. But it's real easy for any of that to go out the window when I get home at 8pm and am exhausted. Is anyone else this busy? Do you enjoy it?

4 comments:

Matthew Ruscigno said...

A couple more projects I remembered when I woke up:
I hope to contribute to the ibikeu project, this especially gives me the opportunity to write the history of Swarm!

There's another little project in the works that we are not giving details on until it is 'released'. That is taking some time, but should be well worth it.

jenny said...

I *thought* I was busy....

moth attack! said...

i don't even want to list out things i have going on, and the things i'd like to add to that pile. i'm pretty sure your list is enough for both of us.

Theresa said...

Wow, you really are busy. I'm not that busy, on purpose, because I get stressed out easily and don't cope. I keep less busy by combining study with earning a living (yay scholarship!), and also study with activism (yay independent research!). That way, the majority of my interests/needs are the same thing--my PhD. Of course, I'm getting busier the longer I live here and the more people I meet.