30 December 2009

Vegan Nutrition

I'm working on a big vegan nutrition project -more on this soon- that has me researching topics I haven't looked at in years. It's a strong reminder of the amount of misinformation in the tubes of the interwebs. I hate to say this, but most of the influential vegan info I found when I 'went vegan' in the mid-90's was exaggerated or simply not true. My profession as a public health dietitian, which I do not discuss often on this blog, is to disseminate accurate, reliable knowledge to the public. I see my training and education most useful as a filter between this mass of dis/information in the world and what people really need to know.


My thanksgiving day salad with purple cabbage,
sunflower seeds and toasted walnuts



Here are a few of my colleagues' blogs that I recommend if you want more info about veganism, nutrition and cooking.

Jack Norris, RD has a blog he describes as 'news for vegan advocates and those eating a plant-based diets.' He is the co-founder of Vegan Outreach (one of my favorite animal advocacy organizations) and also runs Veganhealth.org.

Virginia Messina, MPH, RD has a blog called Thoughts On Being Vegan: A Dietitian's Viewpoint. She's the author of The Dietitian's Guide to Vegetarian Diets which is my go-to-book when I have a question that I can't answer.

Dina Aronson, RD runs veganrd.blogspot.com which has accessible nutrition information as well as recipes. I have worked with Dina through the Vegetarian Nutrition Dietary Practice Group of the American Dietetic Association, of which we are both active members.

For recipes I mainly use the cookbooks I already have, but tend to peruse both Isa Moskowitz' Post Punk Kitchen and www.vegweb.com.

For the new year you should check out the Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine's 21-Day Vegan Kickstart.

No comments: